Sister Elfriede M. Jackson, fmm
Sister Elfriede M. Jackson, fmm was born in River Cess Country, Liberia, She entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary September 15, 1960 in North Providence as there was no novitiate in Liberia. She pronounced her final vows in Monrovia in 1966. She was sent in mission to Jirapa Hospital in Ghana to study nursing and then returned to Sanaquillie, Liberia to run a clinic. Sent in mission to Coldash, England, she served as a community nurse. She was member of a team of Franciscan Missionaries of Mary who started the Coldash Retreat Center. Then, she was sent in mission to Liberia to organize and open a retreat center. During the Liberian civil she was sent to the United States where she served as a member of the novitiate formation team. Presently, she resides in Trinity Community in North Providence where she assists in the FMM Assisted Living Residence and the Fruit Hill Day Program for Elderly.
Mary Petrosky entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary September 1951 in North Providence, RI. After making her First Vows, Mary studied in Boston at Emmanuel College, graduating in 1957 with a sociology degree. She pronounced her Final Vows in Boston in March of that same year and was sent to the Midwest where she earned her MSW from St. Louis University in 1959. Many of her ministries were in social work here in the US, Australia and Papua New Guinea. , Mary was named Director of Social Services at McMahon Children's Services in Harlem, NY. Other ministries were in leadership and religious formation here and in overseas missions.
Her present ministries are Spiritual Direction, Local Coordinator of her community and Provincial councilor.
Sr. La Verne Hincks, fmm
Sr. LaVerne Hincks entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 18, 1945 at North Providence, RI. Her name in religious life was Mary of St. John Berchmans. She continues to be known by the name of John.
After pronouncing her first vows on March 19, 1948, she began studies at Emmanuel College in Boston and graduated in 1952 with a B.A. Major in Chemistry.
Sr. John pronounced her final vows on March 19, 1951. Her ministry until 1953 was community service in St. Clement’s Eucharistic Shrine in Boston. In 1953, she was sent in mission to Moratuwa, Sri Lanka where she served as a teacher and was also in charge of the maintenance workers until 1969.
Sr. Helen Anna Klumpp entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary June 12, 1935 at North Providence, RI. After pronouncing her first vows, Dec. 15, 1937, her first mission sending was to St. Francis Sanatorium, Roslyn now called St. Francis Hospital. There she received tutoring on setting up and running a laboratory. These were the early challenging years of the hospital. She also worked as a practical nurse.
She pronounced her final vows, Dec. 15, 1940 at Roslyn, NY and she remained in mission there until 1959. Her various ministries have been as a sacristan, receptionist, Liturgist, Religious Educator, and life guard. Her present ministry is that of prayer for the Church and the world.
Sr. Aline Giroux, fmm
Sr. Aline Giroux, fmm entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 15, 1952 In North Providence and pronounced her Final Vows September 17, 1959. Most of Sr. Aline's ministries have been in the health care field. After obtaining her license as an R.N. she did staff nursing in St. Louis and North Providence. Then she was sent to St. Francis Cardiac Hospital in Long Island where she was the assistant supervisor in the operating room, followed by serving as administrative assistant in charge of four hospital departments. After completing studies leading to an MBA, she became the assistant administrator of St. Francis Hospital, Long Island. Sister has served in administration in facilities in the United States and in Africa. Her present ministries are Director of the Fruit Hill Day Services and serving on the Board of Directors for Franciscan Children's Hospital and Rehabilitation Center in Brighton and the Board of the Fruit Hill Day Services for the Elderly.
Sr. Virginia Ptak entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary September 15, 1944 at North Providence, RI.
After pronouncing her first vow March 19, 1947, Sr. Virginia was missioned to Roslyn, NY, St. Francis Hospital and Sanatorium, now known as St. Francis Hospital and Heart Center where she worked with children who came for treatment and relief from rheumatic fever and its many problems. She pronounced her final vows March 19, 1950 in N. Providence, RI.
Her various ministries have been X-ray Technician, registered nurse and local coordinator.
Her present ministry is the Care of Children who come to St. Francis Hospital and Heart Center for heart surgery and non-invasive surgery from foreign countries.